Construction work was originally due to start in mid April. However the coronavirus epidemic and subsequent shut-down delayed the final clearance of the building, and the contractor was not able to start until restrictions had been lifted.
Alban Roinard will be photographing the works in progress every month, and this shows the site just before the contractor started in mid May. Much of the taller vegetation surrounding the studio had been either reduced or removed earlier in the year, and the building has now been completely cleared of its contents. The cellar had contained a lot of material dating from John Wells’ time, so this is probably the first time that the building had been completely empty since 1947.
Studio large North window
Fireplace and Dado panelling
Photographer: Alban Roinard
Architect: Rolfe Kentish Architect; QS/Project Manager: Trevor Humphreys Associates
Main Contractor: Symons Construction
Funding: National Lottery Heritage Fund; Arts Council England; Cornwall Council; Architectural Heritage Fund; Historic England; Garfield Weston Foundation; The Pilgrim Trust; The Sylvia Waddilove Foundation; and The Cornwall Heritage Trust.