Studios open to the public
Festival Events at Porthmeor
The Trust hosts a range of activities and events for the public. Most of these are based in the Borlase Smart Room at Porthmeor, but there are also opportunities to visit Anchor and Trewarveneth Studios.
Thurs 16th May 7pm – Kate Nicholson Talk by Jovan Nicholson
Jovan Nicholson discusses the creativity of St Ives artist Kate Nicholson, daughter of Ben and Winifred Nicholson, from her early landscapes, the still life and abstracts to later works made on the Isle of Eigg. Jovan Nicholson is a nephew of the artist. His monograph about Kate Nicholson is out now and he curated the current Kate Nicholson exhibition at Falmouth Art Gallery.
£5 from Porthmeor Studios (01736 339339) or at the door.
Saturday 18th May – 1-5pm – Celebration at Porthmeor Studios – free events
• Open Studios by Porthmeor Artists’ Residency Programme guests Steven Claydon and Daniel Sinsel and long-term tenant artists: Sam Bassett, Andy Harper, Felicity Mara, Iain Robertson, Marion Taylor and Clare Wardman
• Exhibition by Virginia Bounds in the Borlase Smart room.
• Talk by Turner Prize winner Lubaina Himid in her studio 2pm (fully booked).
• 3.30pm – The launch of a 3 x 1 month SWCTN Porthmeor Residencies for artists using technology focussing on immersion (Oct, Nov or Dec 2019).
• Try VR and HoloLens experiences (including 3D painting)
• Kate Walters Shetland Notebooks book-signing
• Drop-in free life drawing classes at the St Ives School of Painting – short poses every half hour from 1.30pm to 5pm.
• Mark Dion’s installation The Maritime Artist in Cellar 4
Free snacks and tea & coffee – foyer.
We are really grateful for support from Cultivator and SWCTN for this event.
Friday 24th May – 12 noon – Porthmeor Studios Lunch Break talk with Polly Staple, Director of Chisenhale Gallery
In her role at Chisenhale, Polly has commissioned solo projects and exhibitions by artists such as Linder, Hito Steyerl, Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Ed Atkins, Hannah Black, Camille Henrot, Mark Leckey, Helen Marten, Cathy Wilkes and Lynette Yiadom-Boakye. In 2014 Polly was awarded the biannual Genesis Prize, ‘recognising her work as an outstanding mentor of artistic talent’.
We are really happy to be able to host Polly’s Lunch Break talk in partnership with CAST as well as with Creative Skills and Cultivator, which is supported by the European Structural and Investment Funds, Arts Council England and Cornwall Council.
To book tickets (£5) click here: http://www.crbo.co.uk/eventDetail.php?evGrp=457&evId=18012
Porthmeor Events include the Porthmeor Talks, a series of monthly talks and films arranged with St Ives Archive. The St Ives September Festival is a two week festival of arts, literature and music, and the Trust organises a full programme of activities including talks, films, guided tours and demonstrations.
Mark Dion’s installation in Cellar 4 ‘The Maritime Artist’ is open on a regular basis through the summer, and by prior arrangement. Guided tours of the building are offered during the St Ives September Festival, and Open Studios in May and September provides the opportunity to visit individual studios and meet with the artists. Exhibitions of their work are publicised on the Artists’ Shows page.
The Borlase Smart Room is also available for hire for community, business and social events. See Room Hire.